The district provides bus transportation to and from school for all students living 1.5 miles or more from the school or approved hazardous routes. A list of bus stops will be published at the beginning of the school year before student registration. Parents must, at the beginning of the school year, select one bus stop at which a student is to be picked up, and one stop at which a student is to be dropped off. Students are not permitted to ride a bus other than the bus to which they are assigned. Exceptions must be approved in advance by the building principal.
While students are on the bus, they are under the supervision of the bus driver. In most cases, bus discipline problems can be handled by the bus driver. In the case of a written disciplinary referral, student bus problems will be investigated and handled by the building principal.
Parents will be informed of any and all inappropriate student behavior on a bus. Parents are encouraged to discuss bus safety and appropriate behavior with their children before the beginning of the school year and regularly during the year.
In the interest of the student’s safety and in compliance with State law, students are expected to observe the following rules:
Choose a seat and sit in it immediately upon entering the bus. Do not stand in the entrance or in the aisle.
- Do not move from one seat to another while on the bus.
- Keep all parts of the body and all objects inside the bus.
- Loud conversation, singing, boisterous conduct, unnecessary noise or profanity in not allowed.
- Enter and exit the bus only when the bus is fully stopped.
- All school rules apply while on the bus, at a bus stop, or waiting for the bus.
- Use emergency door only in an emergency.
- In the event of emergency, stay on the bus and await instructions from the bus driver.
- Good behavior and behavior that will not distract the bus driver from operating the bus safely is required. Crowding, pushing, scuffling, and other needless commotion are grounds for disciplinary action.
- Do not open windows.
- Keep the bus neat and clean.
- Athletic footwear equipped with cleats or spikes are not allowed on the bus.
- Inappropriate behavior will be reported to school authorities and failure to observe safety rules may result in suspension from bus services.
- Be waiting at your bus stop on time.
- Never tamper with, damage, or deface anything in or on the bus, or any of the bus or school equipment.
- Keep book bags, books, packages, coats, and other objects out of the aisles. Keep all body parts clear of the aisles when seated.
- Eating is not permitted on the bus.
- Parents will be liable for any defacing or damage students do to the bus.
Students may be suspended from riding the school bus for up to 10 consecutive school days for engaging in gross disobedience or misconduct If a student is suspended from riding the bus for gross disobedience or misconduct on a bus, the school board may suspend the student from riding the school bus for a period in excess of 10 days for safety reasons. The district’s regular suspension procedures shall be used to suspend a student’s privilege to ride a school bus.
Video and audio cameras may be active on buses to record student conduct and may be used for the purposes of investigation into misconduct or accidents on the bus.
For questions regarding school transportation issues, contact: Bob Howell, Transportation Director: (309) 274-4320.